Friday, September 9, 2011

Starting New Projects

Isn't it fun to start a fresh, new project!  I love the excitement that comes with it.  My favorite experience is to keep the pace going and finish before my enthusiasm wanes or I get distracted with something else.

Woven quilt background ... ready for a center applique.
When these striped batiks were delivered to Kat's shop, I knew it was time to try a woven quilt.  So today, while I played and enjoyed hanging out with fellow quilters in the classroom, I cut these strips and wove them.  My next step is to decide on a center fusible applique.  Something yellowy-orange.  Maybe a tropical flower.  Maybe a fish.  Hmmmmmm.  If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment and help me out with this.  Tom generously suggested a moose from his fabric stash.  I'm just not convinced that a moose would love the purples behind him.

To hold the fused fabrics in place, I'll zig zag stitch along the wavy grid lines, maybe with a black thread or maybe with a green and purple metallic.  More decisions!

Once I pressed/fused the woven fabrics to batting, I switched to another new project.  Since I've enjoyed twisters so much, I thought I'd use halloween fabrics for a large twister quilt.  I cut the 10" squares today using the Shape Cut ruler in the photo.  It's an easy way to cut squares quickly.  Those teardrop shapes near each half inch allow your rotary cutter to slide in place and make the cut along the slit in the ruler. 
Start of a new Twister quilt.
House progress report : carpets will be installed next Thursday.  Our movers are scheduled to pack / move the following Monday and Tuesday!  We'll spend the night back in our own home on Tuesday, 20 September.  Yippeeeee!

This means that next week will be consumed with all the last minute finishing touches on the house.  I'll probably spend most of my time there until the move.  The builder thinks he's finished with the inside, but there's paint missing in places and there's paint on the new hardwoods that needs to be removed.  A few other things need his attention too.  Overall, it's looking like a home instead of a construction zone.  I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!

Enjoy your day!
- SeeingStars

2 comments:

  1. LOVE that braid! How did you get the pieces to be wonky like that? is this a pattern?

    I think a tropical flower would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the braid....such movement!!

    ReplyDelete