Wednesday, September 11, 2013
In the Garden Mug Rugs
I joined an online group for a mug rug swap and made this one for my swap partner. Our theme was In The Garden, so flowers and bugs came to mind. One of my teens helped me make the dragonfly and ladybug. It was too big to gracefully fit in a mailing envelope, so I've learned a lesson here - keep the size manageable.
After I mailed mine, I received this one :
My swap partner patiently waited the arrival of her mug rug, but I finally gave up and made a new one for her.
This time, I made it to fit in the envelope. Also, I had to make the bugs all by myself. This time, I played with a whimsical flower and anchored all of them with grass.
One day after I mailed it, the first one came back to me. I don't mind at all, since I like this cheerful theme. Both the owl and my garden are hanging in my studio. My challenge will be to find a better way to display them as my collection grows.
I'll soon have a real bloom to share with you. As it came from a cutting of my sister's plant, it is lovingly referred to as "Tammy's Psycho Plant." My first cutting managed to die, in keeping with my plant murderer reputation. However, Donna has shamed me into actually watering my plants and even occasionally mixing up some plant food. Golly! This seems to actually work. There's a little new growth on my Christmas cactus and my night blooming cereus is outgrowing it's pot. I like it much better when the plants live outdoors.
My guild block swap quilt is almost finished, which is good news as the reveal is tomorrow night. Just a few more hand stitches to close up the binding. I'm looking forward to seeing all the quilts made from identical blocks. If technology smiles upon me, I might be able to share them here soon.
Enjoy your day!