Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Just Returned Home

... from a quilting mini-retreat.  It was sew fun to make the time to sew and chat with dear friends.

Here's the first top I finished.  I had blocks made and some of the sashing sewn to each block to form an L, but started by adding the rest of the sashing pieces.  Almost every seam was sewn, ripped out and resewn.  I guess that's the penalty for ignoring my sewing room for so long.

I'm pleased with the overall result and this one has already whispered to me a recipient's name.  It will be the next on the frame.

Here's a close up to show off some of the fabrics.  This collection is called Serenade from Moda.

I like the birds and the music along with the soft designs.

Our guild invited Wanda from Old South Fabrics to present a program and teach this pattern in a class.  We had a great time and enjoyed Wanda's company and knowledge.  This design starts with 3 charm packs and a little extra yardage for sashing and borders.  It's called Clovers by Fig Tree & Company. 

A special note to Sara and Libby :
Hi ladies!  Sorry it's been so long since I posted. It's been a busy season with another high school graduate this spring and spending Spring Break with my dad to celebrate his 75th birthday and trying to get the garden planted and and planning a graduation party and a special 75th birthday party for my mom and planning the guild's May program and then ... work.  My part-time self has been working 8+ hours (sometimes even 10) for the past month or so.  I'm actually enjoying the challenge at work, but I'll need to find the balance again.
Prom night was exciting for my senior and she looked stunning all dressed up.  Overall, she still prefers yoga pants and tee shirts with no makeup.  3 inch sparkling silver heels made her at or slightly over 6 feet tall, which her date noticed immediately with a little dismay.  She might have been 1/2 inch taller - no big deal.  This summer, she'll study abroad in Belize as a pre-freshman at Auburn University.  She received the housing assignment yesterday and will be in the honors dorm in The Village on campus, her first choice.  She's been texting some of her roommates and is getting excited to start her college career.  The AP calculus test was yesterday and she's taking AP physics tomorrow, then computer science next Monday.  Also all her regular finals are next week, plus awards ceremonies, a banquet, grad practice, and on and on. Whew!
My college freshman is now officially a college sophomore and has moved back home.  Her belongings are spread throughout the house. Oh my!  No one warned me about that!  It's so comforting to have the whole family sleeping under one roof again and I wouldn't trade the extra rolling chair and laundry baskets for getting to spend the summer with her.  I'm so thrilled and proud to see that spark of excitement which has ignited with her programming class and I look forward to watching that continue.  She's made a few friends and I'm happy to see her enjoying college now rather than just enduring it.  Oh and she's driving my FIL's old pickup truck, which is waaaaay hipster and quirky.  We need to improve / fix the stereo and especially the air conditioning. Self-defense and juditsu have been her "fun" classes and she has loved these.  I think we'll continue to see her thrive in martial arts, although this fall, I think she's taking a body sculpting/fitness class.
Darling Husband is enjoying his rocket science, soccer, whipping the yard into shape, and laughing at me and my crazy antics.  I was worried when he torched the yard and I'd already considering outdoor carpet for the above mentioned parties, but his grass seed has sprouted and it looks adorable with those baby blades of grass. Another week or so of sunshine and the bare spots will be covered. He and I spent a romantic night working on one of his fortran genetic algorithms together.  We modified his code successfully after playing detective to trace the logic.  Sometimes we wonder what "normal" families do for entertainment.
Libby, consider yourself missed.  Oh how we wish our friends live closer together so we can gather more often.


Enjoy your day!
- SeeingStars

No comments:

Post a Comment