|Baby Quilt for Amanda's little one|
|quilting the border ... details|
The narrow striped border just seemed like it would be too busy if it was quilted, so it remains as-is. I considered filling it with circles, but decided against it.
Then the inner red border and piecing sports a red cotton YLI thread (top & bottom). From Myrna Ficken's DVD's I grabbed this border motif and gave it a try. The texture and movement it added makes me smile. Although it's super simple, I should have practiced on paper how to deal with wrapping around the corners of the borders before I armed myself with the machine.
Finally, the pieced top was a cocktail of motifs and doodles. Jamie Wallen's Mystical Cotton Tracks provided inspiration for those fat leaves. If you're looking for a new longarm quilting DVD, I recommend one of his DVD classes. My goal was to use lots of different flowers, rather than just one. Here's my practice piece to double check tension. The quilting is easier to see here since it's high contrast. I return to a piece like this when I change bobbins. I might use these little pieces for mug rugs.
My backing for this quilt is really busy! Since the top was made from leftovers, it's only fitting that the back used my last scraps of Seuss fabric too. I added that gold triangle for the label. Since I don't have embroidery capability, I use pigma pens to add label info.
Enjoy your day!