Saturday, May 26, 2012

Off the frame

Toddler Quilt
This lovely quilt was hand-embroidered by a grandmother (I think) for her granddaughter.  I've had the top for over a month now and it is definitely time to return it.  This customer would like a little help with the binding and we discussed adding a label to one of the corners too.

So the bias binding is ready to be sewn to the front and I just need to get the label for the back.  I know there's a little girl who will be delighted to cuddle up with this special quilt.

We decided to match the quilting threads with each fabric.  That's a lot of thread changes, but it showcases the embroidery, which is definitely the star of this show.  The backing and binding is the same pink gingham as the sashing.

More technical details (feel free to skip this if you don't quilt on a frame) :
I didn't have the right size circle template for the wreaths and really didn't want to trace a lightly drawn circle.  There would be slight wiggles and I wouldn't be happy with that.  Since the templates don't come in the size I needed, I would have had to have one custom made, which would be cost prohibitive.  Waaaay more than the price I quoted to quilt this one.  So, I asked for help from other longarm quilters.  One suggestion was to purchase an embroidery hoop in the desired size (minus the hopping foot radius).  I tried it a few times on practice fabrics first to make sure it wouldn't slip and I was pleased with the results.  I prefer templates, but the hoops work when needed.  I started at the circle top (12 o'clock) with the inner metal ring pinchers at the 10 o'clock position.  Then traced around the circle until I approached my thumb (near 5 o'clock) .  I pinched the inner ring and rotated it to 2 o'clock.  Then repositioned my hands so I could complete the circle without needing to reposition again. 

I'm off to a fencing tournament today.  It's been a long time since we've fenced regularly, but it's definitely time to put this back in my routine.  It's felt good and a bit awkward to pick up that sword again.

Enjoy your day!
- SeeingStars

2 comments:

  1. Good morning
    Here in NZ we have fencing competitions as in building a fence. So you can imagine my surprise when I read that you were going to a fencing comp. wow this girl is versatile I thought. She can just go from the needle to the hammer! Then I read "sword". Haha
    Cheers
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt and love what you've done with the quilting! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete