Saturday, August 11, 2012

Long Term Project is Nearing the Finish Line

This little one is basically a four patch with a shadow frame.  It was fast to piece it and so much fun to decide how to arrange all those sets.  Then I decided to try a new product - fusible bamboo batting. 

Some people love this type of batting.  I found the fusible very difficult to work with.  Once the top was ironed on, the back had wrinkles.  So I flipped it over and worked out the wrinkles on the back.  Now the front side had wrinkles.  I'm sure it's just user error, but I won't fuse batting again.

So I decided to use my home sewing machine, since the Tin Lizzie is designed for the 3 layers to be separate, not glued together.  I made lots of securing stitches and then worked with a variegated thread in the blue background.
When it was almost finished, I got distracted and this project ended up in a closet for a couple of years.  It was a great take along project when my mom was sick in May, so I had the opportunity to finish the swirls.   Then, I decided to load it on the frame to quilt the 4 patches and the light shadows.  That part went very fast and was done in a few hours.

The binding fabric is ready.  Looks like I'll have several projects to ready for hand stitches.  I made a little progress yesterday waiting to pick up a few teens from band camp yesterday.
from the back side

Here's the entire back side

Enjoy your day!
- SeeingStars

6 comments:

  1. I've had the same problem with fusible batting and won't use it again. However, I do like the 505 spray for basting quilts to do on my domestic machine. I haven't had a problem with them. Beautiful quilting on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilting on it...fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used the fusible batting. I still pin my layers together. I've never had a problem but it isn't fun to do. I machine quilt on my domestic and never have puckers on the back so it does work. Your quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt--I love the rich blues, the squares, the quilting--well, the whole thing. And I really liked the quilt in your previous post as well. So cheerful.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete