Monday, February 25, 2013

Log Cabin Tutorial

Our quilt guild will be making log cabin blocks for our Opportunity quilt.  Here's a few photos of how to build a block.

This one finishes at 9.5 inches. 


Light / Dark Log Cabin Block

Use scant quarter inch seams.  As we build, I'm always going to press toward the last piece added on.   I'll press after each seam so everything stays nice and flat.  I brought a small pressing surface near my machine so it's very easy to sew, press, sew, press ....

Although I'm not showing it in these photos, I made 2 blocks at once.  That way, I could leave something under my sewing machine needle.  I don't like to have those loose threads which can tangle or allow the needle to become unthreaded.  If you like Bonnie Hunter style leaders/enders projects, you could do that instead.

First, arrange your fabrics by size with the light and dark stacks. There will be 6 lights and 7 dark pieces.  Cutting dimensions are at the end of this post.



The center will be a dark 2 inch square.  All the other strips are 1 3/4 inches wide.



Sew the smallest light log (2 by 1 3/4) to the center.  Then, press toward the light log.  I press seams away from me, so the seams will be toward the top pieces in these photos.
Open the stitched unit and press the seam toward the last (light) log


Next, add the next light log.  This is the 2nd light log.  (We're going to add logs in pairs.)

New log is under the unit.  Last log of the unit is toward me.

Notice that there will be no seams on the bottom side of the unit.  Also, the last seam is pressed towards me.  That means it will be easier to keep those seams behaving while I sew.  Nothing will get flipped back the wrong way by the feed dogs.

Of course, line up those edges before sewing.  I took the photo with the bottom log sticking out a little so you could see it.

Now, press the seam toward the last log added. 
Open the stitched unit and press the seam toward the last (light) log

Now it's time for 2 dark logs.  First, stitch the smallest dark log to the unit.  Those right edges should align - they're offset for the photo.

New (purple) log is under the unit.  Last (light) log of the unit is toward me.

Open the stitched unit and press the seam toward the last (dark) log

Next, add one more dark log.

New (dark with swirls) log is under the unit.  Last (purple) log of the unit is toward me.

When you press this one, you'll notice after 2 light and 2 dark logs, the center is completely surrounded by logs. 






After pressing toward the last log which is shown on the top of this photo, I lie the next log to the right.  Flip the next log on the unit and set it up at the sewing machine just as I've done with all the others.

New (light) log is under the unit.  Last (dark with swirls) log of the unit is toward me.
You are going to continue in this manner with 2 light then 2 dark logs for each row until you've built your block.
Pressing toward the last log, ready for the next light log

Cutting :
Center is 2 inches square.
Light and Dark strips are 1 3/4 inches wide.

Light:
First row : 2 and 3 1/4
Second row : 4 1/2 and 5 3/4
Third row : 7 and 8 1/4  (For our guild, we made these strips 2" wide so we could trim)

Dark:
First row : 3 1/4 and 4 1/2
Second row : 5 3/4 and 7
Third row : 8 1/4 and 9 1/2 (For our guild, we made these strips 2" wide and a little longer, so we could trim)

Here's another block with medium and dark logs.  The photo picks up those bright dots on the dark purple log.  It looks better without the flash.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.  Hope you'll have fun making these.

Here's our cabin (actually tool shed) that we worked on today.  We covered the roof in tar paper before it was too dark to continue working.  A family of four can entertain ourselves and make some long lasting memories building things together.  Our quirky sense of humor comes out when we're climbing on rafters and attempting to drive nails with two hands while holding on with the same.




Enjoy your day!
- SeeingStars

2 comments:

  1. Can you believe I've never made a Log Cabin block? Looks easy to do, so long as the logs are cut correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the colours you have chosen for your log cabin block. Also - your log cabin :)

    ReplyDelete