Friday, November 15, 2013

A Little Humor for a Common Task

I enjoy finding ways to add humor to life.  Just ask my kids.  They have endured my corny jokes for their entire lives.  I think my husband manages to laugh with me (or at me) most of the time.

So when I found a panel of Pickles cartoons, I knew I could put it to good use.  These are the comic strips involving her sewing and quilting hobby, of course.  It's difficult to cut them up because the panel isn't perfectly straight.  Also, there isn't much black around each strip, so the raw edges turned under are only about 1/8th inch wide.  I added a little bit of black at each end to make it the width of the towel.

At our quilt guild meetings, we give away a few door prizes.  So I made 2 dishtowels for a door prize from the comic panel by starting with inexpensive dish towels and using a thick satin stitch to secure the comics to the towel.  I only took photos of the first one though.  I hope the winner and her family will enjoy these comics when they dry their dishes.




Our deer are coming closer.  The bird feeder hook and barbed wire fence are quite close (3 and 20 feet) to my studio window.  It seems the herds are merging.  Instead of groups of 3 and 4, I've seen 11 deer in the field all at once.  And then the stately buck joined them.  What a show!  He stirs everyone up and there's lots of kicking, leaping and running around.

Although I've taken several photos of the buck, I haven't taken any good ones yet.  It's a challenge now.  It's fun to watch them when I'm starting my day or later, when I'm sewing.

Enjoy your day!
- SeeingStars

1 comment:

  1. Cute towels! We have a bunch of deer in our yard as well. They like to sleep in the woods on the side of our house. On Halloween night we saw an albino buck for the first time, but he hasn't been back since.

    ReplyDelete