Monday, January 21, 2013

Made a Quick Change

When we moved back into our house and I was settling into the studio, I made a pressing surface using a 5 foot by 2 foot piece of MDF, some batting, some canvas and lots of heavy duty staples.  It's been very useful, but it's pretty heavy.

It's a better fit now.  That clutter in the open shelf .... will be gone soon.  I'll post another photo to prove it.

And it sticks out past the doorway when I prop it on my cutting table.  Plus, I've found that I really don't need it to be 5 feet long.  Actually, a little more than the width of fabric is perfect.  Plus, I can use the other piece to press blocks and still have plenty of room for cutting with the leftover piece of wood.  Although I didn't have another piece of canvas handy, I did have some striped duck cloth. 

I'll use it like this most often and store the larger pressing surface against the wall.

I worked on Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Mystery today .... part 1.  My 4 patches are now finished and pressed nicely from this new workspace.

Now I'm switching to a Project Linus project.  These large squares were sewn in sets of 3 and then donated to PL.  I took them home and joined them all for another twister.  This week, I found a cute outer border fabric which ties in all the colors.

It may be about time to stop sewing and help my family with the next step towards building our shed.  They've been purchasing long pieces of wood and bags of concrete.  Now they're returning a truck and trailer and buying lunch to reward themselves for the morning's work.  Looks like we'll cut some lumber this afternoon while it's sunny.

Enjoy your day!
- SeeingStars

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your getting it all set up just the way you want it. I love the bright colours in your twister WIP.