Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July

Patriotic Birdhouses for the 4th of July
I hope you and your family are enjoying this day and every day of freedom.  We haven't spent much of it as family time (yet).  Instead, Hubby and I went to our house to make a new list of concerns for the contractor.  We tried this last night, but it was 120 deg in the attic.  Mornings are much better for touring the house with clip board in hand.


Kids are still feeding / walking the neighbors' puppies.  They'll be home soon and everyone will be ready for lunch.  So this will be a quick blog post and then I'll scramble to serve something edible.   Maybe I can use some of our yellow tomatoes from the garden.

Here's a peek of the quilting for Morgan's quilt.  I'm really excited about how it's progressing.  Once I make time to play with our new camera and figure out lighting, I'll be even more excited to share photos with you!  For these, I did my best to force a sidelight from my TinLizzie so the quilting would be more obvious with shadowing.

This is free motion swirls with petal outlined 2 or 3 times and leaves.  I have a sketch or two that I'll add to this blog soon.  Do you doodle quilting designs before quilting them?  I usually fill up several pages to make sure my brain and hands agree on the design. 


Enjoy your Independence Day!
- SeeingStars

2 comments:

  1. Your patriotic birdhouses turned out great! Some of the birdhouses really seem to jump off the quilt. I'd love to see a doodle of the quilting you're doing on the next quilt. You can see it better in the second picture and I really like it. Are you doing it freehand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dee,
    Thanks so much for your comments. The quilting is freehand. It's so much easier than having to remove the markings later. I doodle to get an idea of how to change directions and how to fill in the gaps as I go. It's rewarding not to paint myself into a corner and keep going across the quilt without a lot of thread ties along the way. I'll add more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete