Friday, May 17, 2013

QOV Mystery Top

At a retreat in April, I made this top for Quilts of Valor.  It was a mystery pattern and I'd saved and printed all the steps.


I tried to get my frame to duck out of the photo, but it just wanted to photo bomb instead.  What can you do?

I'm eager to get this one loaded on the frame, but still playing with a quilting design.  I think I'll end up marking this one a bit more than I'd normally do, but I'd like eagles to surround the 4 stars in the center and I'm not ready to free motion them.

I like the diamond shape in the white and want the overall texture to emphasize that shape.  The very-very-low-tech method of planning a quilting motif involves a blank piece of paper, multiple folds to show each block, a quick sketch of the star blocks with light colored pencils.  Then a ziplock bag to cover the paper and act as a transparency.  Then markers drawn over the ziplock.  If I need to start the design again, I simply replace the ziplock bag with a fresh one.



Don't laugh too hard.  I'll be able to purchase more fabrics with the money I save by avoiding the purchase of a high-tech quilting motif system. 

Usually, I snap a photo and print it out with faded colors, and draw on the photo.  If I need to start again, I can print another copy.  I'll call this preferred method, my medium-tech solution.  However, it's the end of the school year and all the teachers are demanding one more project to grade.  Our teens are frantically using Google to gather research facts.  Thus, I'll rarely get to use our computer for another week. 

Enjoy your day!
- SeeingStars

No comments:

Post a Comment