Wednesday, October 19, 2011
I've thought of Katy all day today as I made a new tool for my sun room. I'm really excited because it turned out just as I hoped. I like that I can keep all these things near me, but not cluttering the table top as I work.
On the left at the bottom, there are two 6 x 24 rulers and above is a pouch for squares in 6 and 6.5. Then, the right side has a 12.5 square at the bottom, with a 9.5 above. Finally, there are two smaller pouches : one for the missing 4.5 square ruler and a larger rotary cutter, and last tiny pocket holds a small pair of scissors and a small rotary cutter. I also tossed in two Add-a-Seam rulers for paper piecing, since they fit too.
If you try something like this, I'd suggest first pinning the pockets in place to make sure there's room to lift each ruler out. I decided to make the upper row of pockets 3.5 inches from the top edge, since the apron is slightly under the table top. This allows easier access to those top pockets. Also, I cut each pocket 2.5 inches wider than the ruler. Then, as I turned in the raw edges, I still had plenty of width so the ruler isn't too tight.
Here's my test case with all the pockets pinned. Even though I didn't need to move anything, I'm really glad to test it out first.
It's been threatening to rain today and it's been much colder too. I've enjoyed watching the leaves blow as I've worked. No painting for today either. Yesterday was a crazy time of dragging pieces in and out as the weather changed. So I'll return to my cutting table when we have sunnier weather. I'm looking forward to getting that project finished, so my little space will be even more useful. One step at a time!
Enjoy your day!