Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sewing Table WIP Part Three

Lessons Learned regarding painting furniture:
1b.  Bugs do not own watches.  They're just as prevalent in the mid-day and evening as they were yesterday in the morning.

2.  Do not paint the area above your foot room first, then crawl inside the foot room area to paint.  Your hair will end up funny colors and the patterns left in the paint are quite noticeable and unique so that it cannot be blamed on bug wings and bodies.

3.  Latex, water washable paint sticks very well to paint brushes.  It forms a bond that cannot be separated by mere soap and water.  The best bet is to throw away the paint brush and purchase a new one.

Since I'm up to about 176 thin coats of paint, I guess I've spent somewhere around $800 in brushes.  OK, Not really!  I wash them out the best I can and re-use.  Since I've sanded off more paint and bug wings than I have left on the furniture, I'm calculating the resulting number of paint layers at or near - 25.  At this rate, the desk will be completely sanded away to nothing but saw dust in about 4 more weeks.

If however, this project is ever considered complete and there's enough matter left in the desk to have it show up in photography, I'll jump on the back of a galloping horse and snap a picture my updated sewing desk as I pass by.  I'm sure you'll agree that it's a most professional updating job.  (Wink!)  Just in case, I won't quit my day job.

Enjoy your day!
- SeeingStars

3 comments:

  1. LOL.....I have enjoyed your saga with the desk and paint. I am sure it will turn out great, as sometimes it is just the getting thru the messy part. Besides all those bug wing leftovers will be covered up with fabric and projects very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny! I have a sewing desk that also needs to be refinished. I think I'll wait until yours is completed and learn from your experience! Good luck with the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure--great write-up!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete