Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lessons Learned is Finished!

A challenge to quilt such busy strips intermixed with solids!
 Part of the challenge of donating my quilting time is to start with a top and backing that are a different style than I would normally choose.  I think it stretches my skills and creativity.

Well this one is ready to be bound and sent to Japan as one of over 100 quilts sent from our Project Linus area.  Woohoo!  I like the variation in thread color because it is invisible in the busy fabrics and adds interest to the solids. 

I also like the madras plaid backing, although I don't think I'd choose it since it is thin and the imperfections in the weaving process will allow it to wear quicker than a good quality quilting fabric. 

Pretty madras plaid backing.

I learned a few more lessons about pantographs on this quilt.  Some are really obvious after the fact, i.e. If the design is mostly flowers, a little swirly ribbon will really stand out when it is quilted each row at the same spot.  I guess it would be hard to have wavy rows and offset them left to right.
Swirly Ribbons are in obvious alignment in the solid areas

The other lesson learned is about posture and having a good workspace.  My machine manual suggests using a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply).  The machine's cord is just barely long enough to span most of the 10 foot frame if the UPS sits on the floor right where I need to stand for quilting pantographs.  To compensate, I tried to stand further away from the frame and lean into it a bit.  Then, the floor vent also got in the way, so I'd spread my feet apart and shift weight side to side as I tried to avoid standing on the UPS and vent.  This resulted in sore muscles.
Strange Top Down View of my frame (flannel tied where the cord tries to get tangled), UPS, vent and my omni-present socks - Don't try this at home!

Since I don't have these pattern and posture challenges with free motion, I'll stick with quilting from the front of my machine for awhile.  I  prefer this method anyway. : )

So, the computer was repaired.  Yippee!  The water damage project is drying out with 2 dehydrator before we can make drywall repairs and put the sewing/laundry room back together.  Until then, there are a few stray items in the dining/quilting room.  One day, I hope to post about a new quilting studio after we convert the screened in porch into a sunroom/quilt studio.  I enjoy imagining the possibilities - design wall, afternoon sun blockers, additional lighting ... and getting to dine in the dining room again. 

Enjoy your day!
- SeeingStars

1 comment:

  1. Posture is really important. I injured myself when I first started longarm quilting, and with the physio’s help, we changed several things about my work space, most importantly the hight of the machine.

    I totally agree with you – freehand is way more fun!