It started with an office chair left by the side of the road for trash pick-up. Then it took a little encouraging with a sledge hammer to separate the rolling base from the chair. A section of PVC from our stash in the garage was a perfect fit to slide over the vertical post on the rolling base.
And then the cardboard tube in the center of the batting roll fit very nicely over the PVC. One straight pin keeps everything from unrolling.
When it's time to cut a piece of batting, simply roll away from the wall, unpin and it's ready to measure and cut the desired amount.
I like storage ideas that keep things off the floor, so I can sweep up the lint (and dead ladybugs) easily.
I wish I could remember where I found the inspiration for this batting
storage. I even hunted for a little while online trying to locate a
site. If you know and share the link, I'll post it so the inventor gets
the credit due to them.
One of the things I love about visiting other quilting blogs is discovering their ingenious solutions and deciding if they could work here.
This new machine and cabinet combo had the 2 flip out table top sections which take up lots of space. They have to be open to use the machine. The studio was feeling too crowded, so I removed those sections. It was a simple operation with a screwdriver. Later, if the need arises, I might make small flip tops which can be open or closed with the machine in use. I doubt it will be closed up very often.
Here's a sneak peek at the new piece of batting with a Project Linus quilt top over it. The words were scribbled in chalk to make sure I could fit them in the space well. A damp washcloth makes a good eraser.
I'm not sure what I'll quilt in the outer border sections. The fabrics are busy, so it won't need much detail. Maybe large swirls to suggest air and water currents. Maybe I'll practice stippling. Or maybe I'll end up with wavy piano keys.
Enjoy your day!